Monday, October 24, 2011

Johnny Was a Chemist's Son Poem

Johnny was a chemist’s son

His head stuffed full of brains

While Johnny’s thoughts were rocket ships,

Other kids’ thoughts were trains

Johnny’s father noticed Johnny

Seldom saw the light of day

So Johnny’s father pushed pale Johnny

Out into the sun to play.


Johnny couldn’t swing a bat

Johnny couldn’t catch a ball

Science was his life-long love

His home, the lecture hall


“Outside is too unpredictable,

I need some time to think.

Besides, the sun is parching me,

And I think I need a drink!”


Johnny was a chemist’s son

But Johnny is no more

What Johnny thought was H2O

Was H2SO4



I found the last stanza of the poem (but could not find an author, unfortunately) so my dad and i decided to expand it into a few more stanzas to make a well rounded story for my film.

3 comments:

  1. I think the stanza you are a referring to is from a song by a band called Tourniquet. The song is called Acid Head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTFgQ2U-kKQ

    Lyrics:
    Johnny is a chemist's son
    But Johnny is no more
    What Johnny thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

    Water cleans the system
    Acid eats the flesh
    Squirm yourself much deeper
    Into the pit of selfishness
    The burn of death is what you crave
    I'll gladly bow and be your slave
    To serve you all the days I live
    My chemical god to you I give

    Acid head - walk like the dead
    Acid head - life in the red

    Pacify your emptiness
    It becomes more, you become less
    All the platitudes you need
    Planted by the demon seed
    Hurting only me not you
    To those around, it isn't true
    The life you wreck is not your own
    He grieves upon His holy throne

    Acid head - walk like the dead
    Acid head - life in the red
    Acid head
    Acid head - walk like the dead

    Walk like the dead
    Life in the red
    Walk like the dead

    Close the book, it's time to die
    Don't get up, don't even try
    Think about your soul instead
    Where will you be when you're dead

    Johnny is a chemist's son
    But Johnny is no more
    What Johnny thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

    Acid head - walk like the dead
    Acid head - life in the red
    Acid head - walk like the dead
    Acid head - life in the red



    ReplyDelete
  2. This rhyme is at least from the fifties and was known in the UK, with an adult "Mr. pompadour, thermidor, anything that ends in "or".

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes indeed its a way of remembering the formula and a safety message. I do a POSTCARD on the LAVINIASOMUCH facebook page .... This l'eau for all we know is h2so4. What goes plink plink fizz ? is another.

    ReplyDelete